20 January 2008

USA - and they can cook as well


Whenever we travel I like to try something new, love to go to restaurants and sometimes I even read the menu pages of restaurants in the area we will visit, just to get an idea what to expect (works very well for the US).


So let's start with the USA:

Some people say the Americans don't know how to cook, I beg to differ: I love their breakfast, they make mean steaks and burgers (not at McDonalds or Burger King) and are influenced by a lot of different cultures, what makes going to a restaurant an experience in itself.

A couple of years back we have been to New England and could dive in Lobster. What's not to like about that? Very easy but ooh so tasty, especially at the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound before the bridge to Arcadia NP. And just thinking of the Mexican restaurant we went to in Bar Harbor makes my mouth water. Or the time we had breakfast at Jeannie's Breakfast Cafe - to die for. And when it's really hot - some Ben&Jerry's.

Then last year, we have been to California, driving along coast from Los Angeles to San Francisco. We had a fantastic seafood dinner, with great wine at Pismo Beach at the Pelican Point, when we stayed at the Shore Cliff Lodge. The next wonderful experience I still remember was at Ragged Point Inn - what a spectacular point to stay and again fantastic food and breakfast.

I could went on and on and on. So talking about steaks....
I know it's a chain and most people go there for cheesecake. And you know what, I never had a cheesecake at a Cheesecake Factory, just seeing these huge monster cakes makes me sick (maybe I should ask them if they could do them in a mini size), but there Steak Diane and the mashed potatoes or the Cajun Jambalaya Pasta - yummi.

If you ever come to Navato, north of San Francisco, stay in the Novato Oaks Inn (very good and very friendly staff) go to the Wild Fox and try the steamed mussels with coconut curry sauce and for sure the steak or the fresh catch of the day (I want to go back just thinking of eating there).

And there are so many places to go in San Francisco, we even missed to try some Sushi there, although my colleagues brag about how good they are, we also haven't managed to go to get some Mexican food at the Mission.

Just reading all the restaurant reviews at yelp.com makes me want to go back.

Next time we might try New York, or Florida, or Boston again....

No comments: