29 January 2008

Eating out in Dublin


No holidays in sight - so I tell you a bit about the restaurants we have visited in Dublin, Ireland (not all in Temple Bar though ;o). For traditional Irish Food you can try nearly every pub or go for a cavery lunch. If you just want a quick bite, the vegetable soup and the seafood chowder is always a good choice. Yes, the quality or style differs depending where you go, but I never had a really bad one. And don't leave without having tried an Irish Breakfast - I think it is a very good start for a long day in Dublin.

Thai
We have just been to 2 Thai restaurants recently and they couldn't be more different. We loved Baan Thai in Leopardstown (there is also one in Ballsbridge), as it has a nice atmosphere, very friendly staff and exeptionally great food, with lots of flavour (even when you only stick with the medium hot level), spicy. If you like Duck, try it here, it was fantastic.

A week later we have been to Siam Thai in Dundrum. While conviniently located at the shopping centre, and very comfy seats and posh atmosphere, the food (at least what I
ordered) was bland. My partner had a bit more luck, when he choose the Chicken Satay and the Beef Salat dish, but the Spring Roll and the Sweet & Sour Shrimps was kind of boring.

Seafood
I like seafood and I don't mind some good Fish&Chips, that you can nearly get everywhere in town, just ask some locals where to go. The travel guides will send you straight to Beshoffs Bros. or Leo Burdock, you can't go wrong with them, but don't worry to try the others as well.

If you are in Howth, try The Oar House, I loved their Surf&Turf with Shrimps, and the dishes I saw at other tables looked delicious as well. It can be a bit crowded so book in advanced
or go early on a rainy day ;o).

Pizza/Pasta
When I came over to Ireland, I really missed some decent pizza (Italian not American style,
the last one can be found everywhere). Back then I didn't know about Milano's - a chain you can find at different places in town, who do a good job. One of the best places for fresh pasta and very good pizza is Pasta Fresca, just off Grafton Street. Just try the Agnolotti (Pasta filled with red pepper and goats cheese in a creamy spinach sauce) or the Pizza Pasta Fresca - lovely (as the Irish would say - awesome for the Americans ;o).

A little update on the Agnolotti at Pasta Fresca - they just changed the menu and they are now filled (boringly in my opinion) with cheese or spinach (can't remember) and served in a mushroom sauce - not the same as it has been.

Chinese/Korean
There is a new place in Stillorgan, where they serve Korean and Chinese dishes and let me tell you it is delicous. Go to Gong and you will experience a very nicely decorated place, friendly staff and dishes full of flavours. I love Kimchi, so I tried the Kimchi Pancakes and wasn't
disappointed. I also tried the Spring Roll my friend ordered, delightful. As a main course I sticked with Korean and had a Seafood platter while my friend choose some Chinese Chicken dish with Garlic Sauce - everything was just yummi.

More updates - Gong is only serving Chinese food now, that's a real pitty as the Korean food was so delicious.

Lebanese
I was very happy that a friend told us about the Lebanese Restaurant in town, Byblos. We went there on a Saturday for lunch. As we weren't that hungry, we sticked to the Lunch menu, they have great mezze platters and we will definitely go back for more.

Moroccan
Two weeks ago I was at El Bahia, a Moroccan restaurant in town. The food was very good. I had the Chicken Bastilla, chicken with different spices wrapped in filo pastry. All the others in our groups were happy as well. However, there are some downsides on the service or let's say business policies they have. First, everybody needs to order a meal for at least 16 Euro, I found that astounding as we have been a group of 14 and not everybody was super hungry, the next thing they told us, that the room we booked was only available until 9:30 and when the time approached they rushed us out. So don't hope for dessert there, you might be rushed out well before that.

Japanese
My personal favorite is Wagamama (altough Yamamori my friends say is good as well). I love Ramen dishes at Wagamama, particularly the Chili Chicken Ramen. Their noodles are also good, I often go for the Yaki Udon or Yaki Soba here. And to drink I always get one of their fresh juices. Afterwards you feel like new from all the 'positive eating' ;o).


Nepalese (not Indian)
Go to Monty's of Kathmandu, their Naan bread (I like the one with garlic) is to die for and goes well with every starter. You can't do wrong with any of their main courses either, we mostely go for something with lamb and/or chicken. Yummi.

Spanish

I love Salamanca, not because it is most authentic, it is probably not, but it is pretty close and very good. My favorites here are Pimientos Rellenos (oven baked peppers stuffed with
minced lamb), and berenjena Gratinada (Aubergine layered with rocket salad and goats cheese). You defenitely can go with two dishes to have a full meal, my partner often chooses three, but then you are really full. I am not a fan of there dessert though, I love crema catalana or creme brulee, but their version is way to heavy with lots of cream in, a bit more like cheese cake than crema catalana.

Come back for more or just try these:
If you are in Cork - try Cafe Mexicana - cute little place to go to.

Don't forget your Wellis, it can be wet ouside ;o)

If you have tips where else to go, just send me a line, where and why we should try it out. Thanks!


No comments: