01 June 2009

Kedgeree

work in progress...

Although, not as breakfast (my better half didn't want to start his bank holiday without porridge) we had Kedgeree today. I used Jamie Oliver's recipe as a starting point and then did what I want anyway (that's my usual way to do things, not just when cooking ;o)).

So here is what I did:
First I boiled 2 eggs and cooked 1 cup basmati rice. Next time I won't cook the rice sperately, as I think you can just add with the other ingredients. So for the following recipe, consider that the rice isn't cooked yet.

Finely chop 1 onion, 1 piece of fresh ginger (garlic clove size) and 1 clove of garlic.
Heat 1 tbsp sesame oil in a deep frying pan and add the onion, ginger and galic. Stir for a couple of minutes until the onions start to get golden.
Add 2 tbsp curry powder (be careful - that was a mistake, but I liked it that spicey) and
1 tsp mustard seeds and stir again for a couple of minutes, add 1 tomato and the juice of 1 lemon.
Pour in 1 shot of vodka (I like a shot of vodka in some curry rice, as it will get even hotter) and 1 cup of basmati rice - stir for 1 min and add enough hot water to cove the rice. Stir for about 10-15 min, add more hot water when necessary. A couple of minutes before the rice is done, add 1 good handful of smoked salmon chunks (in Ireland you can by them pre-packed for sandwiches) and finely chop some parsely (or cilantro/coriander if you prefer). Cut the eggs in quarters and mix them into the rice, together with the parsely.

Next time - when I do it properly - I will add a picture as well.

No comments: