02 August 2009

"Cup"-Cake with Hazelnuts

Originally, I was hoping for a real German cheesecake baked by my better half (as he is making the best one), but getting Quark (or even Fromage Frais) in Ireland is not an easy feat, and mostly can't be done without a proper shopping strategy. So, no cheesecake this weekend.


But after having a wonderful Tassenkuchen at my aunt's while visiting Germany two weeks ago, I decided to try my luck as well.
Tassenkuchen (literally translated to cup-cakes) is just a way to describe a cake baked using cups as measurments instead of putting it into grams or mililiter as I think most European countries do. However, this easy (American?) way to bake cake has become quite popular in Germany and therefore we have Tassenkuchen and although it literally translate to cup-cake it's not a cupcake ;o).

As I didn't ask my aunt for her recipe, I just browsed the internet to get some ideas. And here is what I did:

Beat 4 eggs with 1/2 cup of sugar (1/3 cup of it white sugar and the rest brown sugar - I like the flavor).
Add 1 cup of oil, 2 cups of ground hazelnuts (about 200 grams - in Germany you get them ready prepared to buy), 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of sparkling water, 1 cup of chocolate bits (I love the Dutch hagelslag from De Ruijter), 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1 tablespoon of Rum and 1 almond essence and mix together.

Bake at 180 °C for about an hour or so.

Not sure, if I am happy with this one. Although it tastes lovely, I think it didn't rise enough...
I'll try again. Just checked some other recipes (German only) and they use 2 cups of flour, might try this next time.

No comments: