03 March 2010

Flan Casero / Flan Caramel

We are just back from Patagonia and finally I tried one of our most favorite 'postres' from Spain and Southamerica. This time not the stuff from Royal, but the real 'casero'-style. I used the following recipe:

Heat 1/3 cup (75 g) sugar with some lemon juice (just a few drops) until caramelised.
Fill 5-6 cups (ramequins) with the caramel.

Heat 2 cups (500 ml) milk with some lemon zest and mark of a vanilla pod until boiling, then put aside to cool a bit.

Crack 4 eggs and beat until smooth. Stir in the hand warm milk, mix well and fill the cups (ramequins) to the top.

All the ramequins should fit into a pan/oven dish that you fill with a bit of water (some recipes say it should be hot water, I used cold one). I found a recipe that said you should cook the flan at 150 °C for 20-30 min, but I found out that this is not true, as you need nearly 60 min with that temperature. So next time I try it at 180 °C and see how long that takes. However, I also found out that the higher temperature will increase the risks of getting air bubbles in the flan (as I like it smooth, but also with bubbles I wouldn't care to much.)

Leave the flan in the oven to cool down and store in the fridge for a day or two (if you can wait that long) to let the caramel soak into the custard.

OK, we couldn't wait and tried the first flan 2 hours after coming out of the oven. 1 h at 150 °C gives a brilliant very creamy, smooth result. Yummie...

No comments: